Followers

Monday, February 27, 2012

the J-girl

Throughout the course of these posts I plan to keep friends and family as anonymous as possible.  I shall probably choose monikers for the regularly featured cast.  With that I may create a list of players, but let's jump off that bridge when it comes.

I DO want to introduce someone special at this point, dear readers, before we get too far into our relationship.  I have a very special lady in my life, J.  She is my now-retired, psychiatric service dog.  She's pushing 12 and has been with me over seven years now.  She has, and continues to be, integral to my recovery.  At some point she WILL crop up in posts, so I thought to introduce her now.

She was trained through a program in Ohio named Assistance Dogs of America, Inc.  ADAI linked up the program I applied to in Indiana, Paws and Think.  Thanks to the work of individuals in both states, I brought my J home over Labor Day weekend, 2004.

I wanted to give a shout out to both of those wonderful programs, who helped me find the partner of a lifetime.  Also, there is a program in Virginia that SPECIFICALLY trains companion and service dogs for people with psychiatric disorders.  Psychiatric Service Dog Society

A dog that works as a psych animal is similar to animals used for seizure alert-- they can undergo the most rigorous training and behave beautifully, but if they don't have that unquantifiable 6th sense then they can't specialize into psych populations.

I will likely discuss her often, so look forward to doggie posts!  In the meantime, please enjoy looking at these pages:

Bergin University of Canine Studies

Service Dog Tasks for Psychiatric Disabilities

ADA Service Dog Regulations

Renting and Housing Rights for Service Dog Handlers

No comments:

Post a Comment