Followers

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

M. from Omaha

today's entry is again a blast from the past.  I originally journalled this back in summer 2006.  Looking at it now, I can see how early I was in my fledgling recovery.  Some of the themes still hit close to home on bad days, but also shows me how far I've come in the years since.  I think it will give many of you insight into how I process things.  And how much of an utterly clueless DORK I can be when it comes to the opposite sex.  Intellectualizing everything usually isn't the smartest course of action.  Interesting as I read it now, I wonder if I was trying to convince myself, or the all-knowing journal-person.  It feels maudlin, reading it now, but it's how I felt at that time. 

and remember kids-- feelings are neither good nor bad, they just are.


Well, it was fun while it lasted.

I joined a social networking service (emphasis on dating) in March.  Thus far it hasn’t yielded many results.  But that’s neither here nor there.  In May I started communication with M. from Omaha.  I thought this one had potential.

M. is intelligent, educated, articulate, cultured, funny, a successful businessman. But the real kickers------------he loves to ballroom dance and is a UU.  I can’t remember the last time I went dancing, just how sorely I miss it.  I know it was back during my junior year of college, and that’s been six years now.  Happily, as a Unitarian his philosophy would be VERY compatible with my pagan faith.

We had amazing conversations.  He was a wonderful flirt.  A friend of mine refers to it as “intellectual foreplay”.  Very accurate statement.  He stimulated my mind in challenging and delightful ways.  And the flirting was something I’ve nearly forgotten.  Certainly enjoyed it.   It’s been a long time since I’ve had a man express appreciation for me as a woman.  In ANY respect, let alone been able to access my mind at the same time.  The substance of our communiqués was sustaining on several levels.

But a little over two weeks ago, he finally asked about J.  While we hadn’t as of yet discussed particulars, I’m kind of confused how he missed her.  Must not have been paying attention.  I mention her right on my profile page.  The section specifically states “List three things in your life for which you are most thankful”.  I listed “my Labrador J”. After the Ren. faire at Jubilee I vented a bit about while the day was fun, she had been a nightmare.  He questioned who she was.

I was short and candid--------------J is my seven year old yellow Labrador.  She is also my service dog. Are you scared now?

The inevitable response came------------Are you blind?

I kept my answer brief but detailed.  Emphasized the positive such as my stability, careful planning, docs, support system.  Used the metaphor of denying a Type I diabetic her insulin.   I also enclosed several files of reading material. From laity to professional grade intel, complete with graphics.  Told him to digest and feel free to ask any Q’s he has.

And I haven’t heard from him since.

At the 8 day mark last week I send him a short missive.   The standard how are you, how you been, haven’t heard from you, hope you’re well, etc.  It has been over a week yet again, and I’m fairly certain he’s a lost cause.

I’m afraid I can’t suppress my disappointment.

I can completely understand how someone does not wish to pursue a relationship with someone differently-abled in the clinical sense of the term.  I know I do not.  While some may feel that I am being <fit negative adj here> in this desire, it is more a case of self-preservation.   I know I need a certain amount of stability and support.   I need a partner to be able to provide that on a consistent basis.  Bare fact.  An individual who has a certain degree of severity regarding their own challenges would not be able to provide that.  Neither he nor I need that stress and heartache.  Especially considering that mental illness can easily become short term, long term, or permanently disabling depending upon how the fates have aligned.

There is a part of me that wonders that if I fall into the abyss again, if I’ll be able to get back out.   It gets old, and more difficult each time.  And I get tired.  So very tired of fighting the good fight every single day.   I highly doubt my parents could survive me fully tanking again.  It would probably kill my mother.

I promised myself I would never be re-admitted to a psych ward.  And I meant it. I would rather “go home” permanently than be that sick again.  For the record, I self-admitted. So part of me was thinking wisely.  **

While I give thanks that my health has been fairly stable for a few years now, it was not always so.  There were YEARS when I was non-functional, to varying degrees of time and severity.   I’d stop eating, bathing, communicating with others.  Sleeping 18 hours a day only to get up to semi-watch tv was fairly common.  Having a basement apartment 10 miles from campus was one of the more foolish decisions I have made in the last ten years.  I depend on my support system at unpredictable times.

J does quite a bit, but she doesn’t talk, and can’t dole out pills.   Though she can bring them to me as well as water if told to do so.   Of course, I have to be VERBAL ENOUGH to give her the commands.  I forget how bad it can get, even for 24 hours, if I’m not mindful of it.  No amount of chemicals can fix everything, or keep me on the straight path by itself for any long stretch of time.

So I understand his decision.   I can’t help being hurt by it.   It’s discouraging.  And I feel that he could have had the courtesy to at least inform me that he was no longer interested.  It’s taken me a VERY long time to feel worthy of a partner despite my illness. Fairly consistent work for a good two years now.  This development doesn’t help that self-esteem issue.

I suppose what makes me so sad some times, like this evening, is how I see how others’ lives are unfolding.  I keep running into high school friends/acquaintances who are partnering up, starting families.  Quite a few have been married for years and have multiple children.   I have two adopted nieces and one nephew among my inner circle.  Ages 18 months to five.   Close friends who are very content with their partners.   Good, stable marriages, many of which are true mated pairings.   I can’t help feeling that I got left behind.

Feeling this way is a major pain in the ass. I do not regret the path I chose.  I was not ready for a long-term partner or a family earlier, even before the disease took control.  I am only now getting to that point.  I was education/career focused for a VERY long time.  Very one track mind.  Fairly ironic since I currently have neither career nor college degree.  Ten years ago I’d have thought I’d have my PhD and be working on tenure at a good university by now.  I wanted to be well-established before I thought about a major evolution in my personal life.  And I am thankful that I had the wisdom to NOT attempt either a physical or romantic partner during the times that I was NOT stable enough to maintain myself, let ALONE a relationship.

No one wants their partner to fall apart.   It’s hard when it happens, and not everyone has the strength to see it through.  And no one with a fair amount of wisdom chooses someone who is ill to the point of disability.  And I mean dis-ability, not someone functional who has a physical/mental challenge.  That one is my harsh vision of reality.  Feel free to disagree, but please don’t beat me up about it.  I know some people are capable of giving that much.  I am NOT, nor I don’t WANT to try.  At least not this lifetime.

That is why it has been so hard for me to even fathom someone wanting to be involved with me.

The last psuedo-date I had was over a year ago.  It wasn’t really a romantic relationship.  He is a very good friend with whom I had a “special friends” arrangement.  Our benefits were limited in scope and frequency.  Over time the situation caused me more pain than fulfilment.  Being a place-holder for someone who you KNOW doesn’t want everything with you in the long run…………… After a while my emotional needs just weren’t getting met.  We used each other as surrogates, and we both knew it.  Me more than him.  I walked into it eyes open, albeit not cognizant of the possible repercussions.  He is one of my closest friends, we love each other dearly, and are in regular contact.  We both suffer with him now living out of state.

This wanting a relationship is a new feeling for me, and I’m not quite sure how to handle it.   Ever since I reprogrammed the whole Western “you must have a wife/husband to be happy” mentality in early college it hasn’t been an issue. Next I tackled the “you must find your one, true soulmate to feel complete." Interesting that I am no longer satisfied to be a single female.   I don’t know how much of it is loneliness.   Maybe because I’m approaching 30.  Maybe because I can’t remember the last date I had.  I know there is a part of me that sorely misses the emotional intimacy that comes from dating someone.  Being around happy couples frustrates the hell out of me some days.

I really don’t know.  Thankfully, I get fulfilment and satisfaction from many things in my current life.  I am still balanced enough to feel complete without having that elusive partner.  If that changes, I will REALLY be in trouble.




** "go home" is a phrase referring to death.  Go home, to where one is pain-free be with those who you love and have gone before.

No comments:

Post a Comment